Reports / Publications
Health Topic: Cancer Prevention
- Freund KM. Letter to the Editor: The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the US. Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007
- Whitman S. In response to the letter by Dr. Karen Freund Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007
- Whitman S, Orsi J, Hurlbert M. The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the United States Cancer Epidemiology 36 (2012) e147–e151.
- Allgood K, Rauscher G, Whitman S. Screening Mammography Need, Utilization and Capacity in Chicago: Can We Fulfill Our Mission and Our Promises? In N. Uchiyama & M. Zanchetta do Nascimento (Eds.), Mammography - Recent Advances. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech.
- Rauscher GH, Allgood KL, Whitman S, Conant E. Disparities in Screening Mammography Services by Race/Ethnicity and Health Insurance Journal of Women's Health, 2012; 21(2): 154-160.
- Whitman, S. Ansell, D. Orsi, J. Francois, T. The Racial Disparity in Breast Cancer Mortality Journal of Community Health, 2011 Aug; 36(4): 588-596.
- Ansell D, Grabler P, Whitman S, Ferrans C, Burgess-Bishop J, Murray LR, Rao R, Marcus E. A community effort to reduce the black/white breast cancer mortality disparity in Chicago. Cancer Causes Control. 2009; 20(9): 1681-1688.
- Chicago Metropolitan Breast Cancer Task Force. Improving Quality and Reducing Disparities in Breast Cancer Mortality in Metropolitan Chicago. October 2007.
- Whitman S, Shah AM, Silva A, Ansell D. Mammography screening in six diverse communities in Chicago-A population study. Cancer Detection and Prevention. 2007; 31:166-172.
- Hirschman J, Whitman S, Ansell D. The black:white disparity in breast cancer mortality: the example of Chicago. Cancer Causes & Control 2007;18:323-333.
- Hirschman J, Whitman S, Ansell D, Grabler P, Allgood K. Breast Cancer in Chicago: Eliminating Disparities and Improving Mammography Quality. Chicago, Illinois: Sinai Urban Health Institute, October 2006.
- Hunt, BR. Whitman, S. Maternal Smoking in Chicago: A Community-Level Analysis Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2011 Feb; 22:194-210.
- Whitman, S. Shah, A. Benjamins, M. Urban Health: Combating Disparities with Local Data Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Dell JL, Whitman S, Shah AM, Silva A, Ansell D. Smoking in 6 Diverse Chicago Communities - A Population Study. American Journal of Public Health 2005;95(6):1036-42.